How do I prepare buying a travel insurance?
There are a wide variety of travel insurance policies. Carefully read the travel policy before making your purchase.
Article on the Independent: Travel Insurance - Everything you need to know to buy the perfect policy.
What should I look out for when buying a travel insurance policy?
Make sure that your policy covers you for the entire length of the time you will be travelling. Most insurance policies will have limits on the trip duration and therefore you need to ensure you buy the policy that best fits your needs.
Make sure you get the right cover. Carefully read the insurance policy and make sure that you well are covered.
- Activities & sports injuries: Some policies specifically exclude ‘dangerous activities’, which can include scuba diving, motorcycling, winter sports, adventure sports or even hiking.
- Emergency Coverage: Check that the policy covers ambulances or an emergency flight home.
- Contents insurance: Some policies covers your gadgets or if you need to take out extra cover for more expensive gear. Many policies also have conditions that apply to high value items so be aware of any exclusions that might apply.
- Delay and cancellation: Some insurance policies will provide some of your expenses covered in case of delays or cancellations.
- Loss & Theft: Generally, travel insurance covers theft by reimbursing a traveler for the direct loss of items in their possession during their trip. Travel insurance covers a traveler for theft that occurs in the airport (including checked luggage), in the hotel, and while the traveler is in transit.