What are some suggestions for sustainable traveling?
It’s great to leave only footprints when you travel. But what about the other marks you leave behind on our environment? Because sometimes the way you travel and the choices you make along the journey make all the difference… This is why your DiscoverEU team has some ‘sustainable travel tips and tricks’ ready for you!Here are some suggestions for you as a DiscoverEU traveler:
- You already do a great job by using public transport on the ground like trains and busses. In general, this is better for the environment than using the car or plane. Another benefit is that you can enjoy the beautiful European landscapes around you.
- It’s also great fun to cycle or walk around the place you are visiting – better for the environment and healthier for you too!
- Enjoy the local culture! Support the local community by buying locally madesouvenirs or eat at a local restaurant.
- Did you know that one of the biggest impacts on our environment is the way we produce and consume food? While at the restaurant or strolling the local market, why not enjoy locally sourced, organic food? Organic food is not treated with pesticides or herbicides so better for water quality too!
- Reduce energy consumption. It’s so obvious, but here you go nevertheless: unplug your mobile phone charger when it’s a 100% charged and remember to turn off the lights.
- Preserve water – drink tap water, wear your clothes and use your towel more than once, take a short shower instead of a bath.
- Avoid waste, especially single-use plastic items. How? Bring your own reusable water bottle or coffee-to-go mug, bring a re-usable shopping bag and avoid the use of plastic straws in your drinks. If you can’t avoid it, make sure plastic items are at least biodegradable.
- Sharing is caring: If you travel in a group of friends, why not share one big bottle of shampoo, body lotion, shower gel, etc… Each of you can carry one item with them. At the same time, you will also reduce the amount of your waste.
- Sun, sea and plastic? Join a local beach or a city clean up with your fellow DiscoverEU travellers! Many places have organised events, so you can just join in.
- Be curious. What about the sustainability practises of your accommodation (hostel, hotel, guest house) and tourism organisations. Do they recycle for example? Do they have an environmental policy?
- Last but not least: get off the beaten track! Many places are overloaded with tourists each year. Go and discover less crowded places – enjoying time and making new friends in other parts of Europe!