From Greece to other EU countries
Greece - Italy
The easiest way to travel from Greece to Italy is to take a ferry for which you have discounts with your Interrail Pass. The ferry itineraries are :
- Bari - Corfu (sailings during summer period only)
- Bari - Igoumenitsa
- Bari - Patras
- Ancona - Corfu (sailings during summer period only)
- Ancona - Igoumenitsa
- Ancona - Patras
- Venice - Igoumenitsa
- Venice - Patras
Greece - Bulgaria
A daily connexion runs from Thessaloniki to Sofia.
Below you can find the list off all the ferry companies for which you have discounts to travel to and from Greece with your Interrail pass:
- Attica Group Greek Islands (Blue Star Ferries)
- Attica Group Crete routes (Blue Star Ferries in cooperation with ANEK LINES)
- Attica Group Greece-Italy (Superfast Ferries in cooperation with ANEK LINES)
- Grimaldi Lines
- Minoan Lines Domestic
- Grimaldi Minoan Lines International
Traveling to Greece
If you plan to travel by train in Greece please verify the situation of the national railway as they have had some internal issues recently. You can find all the information needed on the Greek national railway, Trainose.
They are two types of trains in Greece:
- InterCity : runs in Athens, Thessaloniki, Alexandoupolis and Dikea. The reservation is compulsory however it's free of charge.
- Suburban railway: runs in Athens, Thessaloniki, and Patras. The seat reservation is not required.
You can take your bike in some trains as check-in luggage however you need to verify if any fees apply.
Planning on taking the train from Thessaloniki to Athens ? Great news, the connection between the two cities is the best way to witness the beautiful landscapes Greece has to offer. Mountains, historical sites, you will not be disappointed if you love History and Archeology. More information here.
With an Interrail Pass
Traveling to Greece with an Interrail Pass? Make sure to get the most out of your pass and check out the Interrail Pass benefits in Greece.