From Hungary to international cities
The best-connected city in Hungary is the capital Budapest. Here you can find some ideas for your travels.
Budapest - Cluj Napoca
One direct train connects Budapest-Keleti to Cluj-Napoca :
Budapest - Zagreb
You will need to take the D-train from Budapest-Déli to Zidani Most for 7 hours. Then a second train from Zidani Most to Zagreb Glavni kolodvor for 1h25.
Budapest - Graz
In order to travel to Graz from Budapest, you will need to take a regional train from Budapest-Déli to Kelenföld for 6 min and then take the Intercity for 4h29 to Graz Ostbahnhof-Messe.
Budapest - Bratislava
You can arrive in Bratislava from Budapest in only 2 hours by taking a train from Budapest-Nyugati to Bratislava hl.st with the Eurocity.
Travelling to Hungary
The national railway company is Mav-star, however, you can also have access to the GySEV/Raaberbahn trains. Seat reservations are required only for InterCity (IC) trains and EuroNight (EC) trains as for the Railjet (RJ) and EuroCity (EC) the reservation is advised but not required.
Places worth visiting:
- Budapest, the capital city with its thermal caves, Parliament building and world's second largest synagogue.
- Lake Balaton cities to relax
- take the regional train from Budapest-Déli to Szekesfehervar and then the train to Balatonfüred and you'll be there in less than 3 hours.
- Thermal baths in Heviz or Hajduszoboszlo
- take the regional train from Budapest-Déli to Balatonszentgyörgy (2h22 trip) walk 15 minutes to the bus station and then take a bus that cost around 1€ to Hévis
- take the regional and direct train from Budapest-Nyugati to Hajduszoboszlo (2h27 travel)
- Lillafured, a small settlement in which you can enjoy nature, rivers, lake, forests, waterfalls etc.
- take the InterCity train to Miskolc from Budapest then take the tram No 1 to "Dorottya utca - LAEV" stop and finally take the forest train.
With an Interrail Pass
Traveling to Hungary with an Interrail Pass? Make sure to get the most out of your pass and check out the Interrail Pass benefits in Hungary.