How do I travel in my own country (citizenship or residency country) with an Interrail Pass (inbound and outbound trip)?

Important notice!

Interrail travelers are not permitted to travel with their Interrail pass in their own country of residence. You can only have one outbound, and one inbound travel. So if you’re German, for example, you can’t cross Germany throughout your trip.

You can use your Interrail Global Pass to travel in your country of residence during one outbound journey and one inbound journey that occur during travel days.

If you need more than one outbound and inbound journey,  you can always buy additional point-to-point tickets from your country’s rail carrier.

How do I enter my outbound and inbound dates on an Interrail Pass?

Your Interrail Pass comes with a travel diary including date fields for outbound and inbound travel. If you have an Interrail Global Pass and wish to travel in your country of residence, you need to enter these dates. This will entitle you to use your Interrail Global Pass in your country of residence on those 2 dates.

As with all Interrail trips you make, you need to enter the journey details of your outbound and inbound journeys in the travel diary. If you have flexible pass, you need to enter the same dates in your travel calendar.

What is a Country of Residence?

The country in which you live and/or have citizenship for and/or are a legal resident of is considered your country of residence. This will be printed on your Pass in the top-right corner. Please also note that you will have to bring official proof that you are a citizen or resident of that country with you on your trip.

What can be used as proof of citizenship?

Your citizenship can be proven using a valid passport or an ID card. An ID card in this case is classed as an official ID document that allows you to travel across borders. Train staff have the right to check your nationality, so make sure you always have your passport or ID card with you.

A driving licence is not accepted as proof of citizenship.

What can be used as proof of residence?

Your residence can be proved with official government-issued residency papers. This must be a valid document that clearly shows that you're an official resident of the country you live in (for example, a residence card).

Your proof of residence will be accepted if:

  •        It is issued by the government.
  •        It is valid for the entire duration of your Interrail trip.
  •        It has an official mark or stamp from the issuing body.
  •        It clearly states the issuing country.
  •        It clearly states your name.

All UK Tier 1 to 5 Visas and the Spanish NIE are accepted as a proof as residency.

Documents such as bills, rental contracts or bank statements cannot be used. Travel visas and the residency field of a passport are also not accepted as proof of residency.

What is an inbound/outbound journey?

  • The outbound journey can be used to travel from any location in your country of residence to the border, or an airport or port.
  • The inbound journey can be used to travel from the border, or an airport or port, back to the destination in your country of residence.

You may travel with more than one train, provided the trips are made within the same day (with exception of night trains), and it can be used at any point in your trip.

What to do when travelling in your Country of Residence?

  1. Fill in the inbound/outbound date on your Pass Cover:
    Before boarding, enter the date on which you will be using the outbound journey in the designated area of the Travel Diary. Do the same when making  your inbound journey. If you do not make use of these trips, this space can be left blank.
  2. Fill in your trip details:
    As with all other trips, make sure that all trains of each outbound and inbound trips are registered in your Travel Diary.
  3. Record the date on your ticket:
    With the Flex Pass you are required to use a travel day, which should be recorded in your Travel Calendar.

How to fill in the travel calendar?

When you have a flexi pass with a specific number of travel days e.g. a Global Pass - 10 days within 1 month, you'll need to fill in the date on the travel calendar on your Interrail pass before boarding the first train, free bus or free ferry of each day. Decide on-the-go when you use each travel day.

The travel calendar can be found on your pass. It is the large rectangular box with a number of spaces where you can fill in each travel day. It's very important that you remember to fill in the travel day before boarding. If you forget, it is the same as travelling without a ticket and could result in a fine.

Fill in the date so that the day appears above the month. Take care when writing the date as if you make a mistake, you must enter the correct date in the next box and consequently lose a travel day!

Did this answer your question? Thanks for the feedback There was a problem submitting your feedback. Please try again later.